Monday, October 29, 2007

Ready, Set, Strip.

Instead of exploring another sex scene, I thought it would be fun to explore how actors and actresses feel about being in a sex scene. I’m sure a lot of people think that celebrities are incredibly lucky to be making out and simulating sex with other hot famous celebs, but I have actually found out that the majority of actors find these scenes incredibly awkward and usually pretty boring, and they are just happy the scenes look good once the editing room is done with them.

Scarlett Johansson talks about how her sex scenes are less than romantic, and insists they are more like “organized boxing matches”. Wenn from Hollywood.com reported that Johansson found filming scenes for The Black Dahlia deeply unsexy, as the pair was “trying to get in the mood while members of the crew stood around eating sandwiches.” She also described how awkward it is to have a director shouting orders at you to ‘move here’ or ‘put your hand there’. I can see how that would be awkward.

Jennifer Lopez reported to Indiainfo that now that she is pregnant, sex scenes are off the agenda. “I'm not comfortable with it, I'll be honest with you -- not at this point in my career. I love the idea of being a bold actress and I am quite fearless when I work but there is just something about it that just feels not quite right to me -- a bit exploiting”. When she was asked to comment on sex scenes in Hollywood movies, she said: “You can't get rid of those….they are always a little bit uncomfortable because you have to be intimate with somebody you're not intimate with.”


Jessica Alba discussed her new movie Good Luck Chuck (Murray, Hollywood Movies) which led to emergency dental work. Alba said: “I did chip my front tooth doing a kiss with Dane. I chipped my top tooth and he chipped his bottom tooth. We were doing a comedic Mr. and Mrs. Smith love scene and we were slamming into walls and breaking things, tumbling over couches and stuff. He slammed my head into a picture and, while my head was smacking into the wall and breaking the picture, his teeth slammed into my teeth.” I wonder if Brad or Angelina got hurt doing the actual scene..

Regarding James Bond, Guylaine Cadorette reports that director Lee Tamahori says Die Another Day will include a steamy love scene. Whether audiences will ever get to see it, however, is another story. Tamahori said it will be up to the censors to decide what ends up on the cutting room floor. “In lovemaking, Bond's PG requirements have traditionally meant you can only show post-coital sex…you know, clothes strewn around the room, the camera slowly pans over to the bed....But we thought, why couldn’t Bond have the best lay of his life? So we shot a very hot love scene. Whether it survives the censor’s cut, or the producer’s, we’ll see.” Alot of scenes, it seems, don't "make the cut".

For Monsters Ball, the film reportedly has a sex scene so graphic that a minute had to be cut from it to avoid an NC-17 rating. Halle Berry said that “I would only [get naked] if Billy Bob [Thorton] agreed to be as naked as I was,” telling The Times, noting that in Swordfish, her breasts made their wide-screen debut. For Monsters Ball, they shot the sex scene on Day 19 of a 21-day shoot. She says, “I always say Billy Bob and I dated for three weeks, and then we had sex.” Admitting that the scene “scared me completely,” Berry went on to say, “I look at it now and think, ‘Who is that girl up there?” (Stephen M. Silverman, People.com)

Now Magazine reports that Demi Moore will no longer get intimate on the big screen with another man for fear of upsetting hubbie Ashton Kutcher. She says that she wouldn’t dream of getting naked with anyone else: “I just feel discomfort [kissing on screen] and I don’t know if it’s just from being so madly in love.” Alright, Demi, we get it, you love him. That's no reason to not get naked..All the other celebs are doing it..

Orlando Bloom tells People.com that he hated kissing Zoe [Saldana] and felt like telling her to “Take your tongue out of my mouth, please. Your boyfriend is standing right there. Most people think kissing beautiful costars must be great. But it’s always awkward, man.” Ok, man, quit whining. I'm sure Zoe was thinking, "Gee, thanks a lot, Orlando"...

Justin Timberlake apparently hates filming sex scenes, and thinks they are the worst part of acting (he reports). In Black Snake Moan, him and Christina Ricci had a sex scene to which Justin though was “pretty hot. I’m not going to say it doesn’t feel weird pretending to fuck someone in front of a man with a sound boom, though.” He also said that “When you're doing [a sex scene] you’re constantly thinking it isn’t going to look hot at all. I’ll crack a joke or something so it is not as uncomfortable.” Aww, so considerate.

So, all in all, there are a lot of actors and actresses that feel the same way (I could have easily posted 20 more). As unrealistic and awkward as they are to watch, they are just as unrealistic and awkward to act (probably more so).

So, I ask you, does it ruin your enjoyment of a sex scene knowing the actor wasn't into it and it's basically all smoke, mirrors and editing?

No comments: